November 21, 2007

I've been a little obsessed with artsy photoshop layers lately as you can tell from below. I've also been shooting a bit differently now that I have a new camera system with new lenses. (I have to say the 5d is the best camera I've shot with, easily outperforming any Nikon camera I've used in the past 6 years.) I've also incorporated a 1.4 lens into my bag, an aperture I've never shot with before. I'm pretty much settled in at my new job, but still itching to shoot...so I've been bringing my camera around campus with me. Here's two images from the new chapel that is being built. The second image is of Dr. Anthony Cernera, president of Sacred Heart University.


3 comments:

m said...

love the effect on that? trying to figure out how you did it -- polaroid transfer?

John Galayda said...

Hi Melissa,

I've been working with mixed media lately and use a lot of old books and magazines in my artwork. I had the idea to photograph pages from the old books and layer them into images. I'm experimenting with different textures to photograph and combine with photographs. I've been experimenting with photoshop a lot more since I stopped shooting full-time...it's a shame because I probably could have created some interesting illustrations for the paper. I'm actually looking into getting a daylab machine to do transfers to satisfy the purist in me.

~John

Anonymous said...

john,

good to run into you the other day.

i really dig the photo of dr. t. not a usual fan of a lot of post processing, what i like most about this image is that it looks like it was printed on tissue paper. it has a sort of organic feel. his look also describes him well (we spent two days with him...)

do you mind the slowness of the 5d as opposed to the d2h?